Saturday, January 9, 2010

Change is Good.....Right?

Ryan and I are preparing for some big changes in our lives. We've been cleaning out our house, taking stuff to Salvation Army, giving stuff away, selling stuff on Craigslist and giving stuff to friends. We've been moving furniture, painting furniture and re-painting furniture. It has been very busy here, but we have gotten a lot accomplished. Why all this moving and choas?

Most of you know Ryan and I will be having a little Lydia baby in May. She will be in our room and we're making preparations for Adelle's room downstairs. Ryan and I have also decided to do foster care. We are in the licensing process with Denali Family Services and we have a lot of training and home requirements we have to meet. Our social worker has told us there are two brothers, ages 7 and 8, who will most likely be needing a foster home by the end of the month. Normally it can take months to get licensed but she has put us on the fast track and we're going to be busting our booties to get it all done in time.

I have also made another decision, almost. I have wanted to be a midwife for awhile now but never knew how to become one up here in Alaska. Some wonderful midwives have put me in contact with an online school called The Aviva Institute. I am really interested in the program, it's 3 years, after all of the online schooling you mentor with a local midwife to finish your training. One of the main reasons for Ryan and I doing foster care is to use the money to get out of debt and then pay for both of our schooling. This is our plan as of now.

One thing I have a lot to be thankful for, besides a very helpful husband and family, is my nesting instincts. It gives me the drive to get a lot done, even when I don't have the energy. Got to have a fluffy feathered nest for all the little chicks we'll be having in it.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I admire your drive. You're family is so awesome to take in foster kids and give them some love most of them desperately need. You Watsons rock.

    Big changes. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so funny that you posted this, I think that we are going to do the same thing. I want to do foster care to give a child a good home and so love that they should get but it will also allow me to be a stay at home mom also. I did have my license a couple of years ago but I need to call them and see what I need to do to get it back. I admire you taking it all on while you are pregnant.
    I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that always drove me crazy--the times I wanted to be the most productive in my life (nesting periods--4 of them), I was usually too tired to accomplish as much as I would have liked. Why can't I nest while I am fully rested? Glad you have a great hubby to help you with your nesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You certainly have a lot of drive! I can't believe you're taking all of this on when you're about to have another baby. Apparently I'm just a wimp.
    Nate and I have always wanted to do foster care but struggled with the decision as to when in our lives we should start. Keep us updated as to how it's going! And good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're awesome! And the midwifery training sounds wonderful, I'd love to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete